9/2/09

The Memory Lane Edition: APEX RIP


I was digging (do you still call it that when looking at 'em on the computer???) through some old photos and I came across this. Man, what a trip to see it. I totally forgot that I had this. It was taken in a pub in Sydney. A hip hop night.

That's me (duh!) with my man, Angel aka APEX. Him, along with some other crew, were the first blokes we ('we' meaning: myself and DJ Danielsan) met and hung out with in Sydney. We must've met them in the early 90's. Just when the Sydney scene was really starting to create some top shelf hip hop.

It was a quite exciting time (especially cos we were coming up from Queanbeyan & Canberra!). Graff had already established some killer writers & crews in Sydney. Same as DJs. But the MC'ing had lacked a bit of quality and authenticity. Not only in Sydney, but nation-wide. But around this time, things were about to change.

Def Wish Cast were really leading the way (although, honestly speaking, I wouldn't have admitted that back then. Haha...). Their unrelenting bboy style was really creating a buzz and the west Sydney-siders carried the torch for all the hardcore massive.

A duo named The Fonke Knowmaads were doing their thing, too. They had a really developed sound that was pretty much inspired by the east coast US hip hop. Their style and approach to music was almost on the other end of the scale to what DWC were doing. So there was a broad spectrum beginning to develop in ol' Sydney town.

Filling in the gaps were Crews like Voodoo Flavour, Illegal Substance, 046, Black Hand, Noble Savages and of course, Sound Unlimited Posse (which was created after Westside Posse disbanded). SUP were the first local hip hop outfit to be signed to a major label. Well, weren't there some lessons to be learned there???

A trio I admired from afar, Urban Poets, were about to expand into a ground breaking collective called Easy Bass. The crew consisted of IllPickl, JU, a young DJ Leeroy Brown, a baby Sleeping Monk & a well-skilled kid named Simple. Then there were us guys who were close affiliates. APEX, Mr. Clean, Simonitor and myself (amongst others). They were a very talented bunch of people and mad inspiring to be around.

Easy Bass released a tape called 'Space Programme' in '96. Man, it was as fresh as an immigrant just getting off the boat. High quality beats, rhymes and cuts. The whole package. You'd be hard pressed trying to find a copy of it, though. It had a limited press, but damn if you find yourself one... pass me a dub!

Now back to this particular photo. It must have been taken around '06 or '07. Unfortunately, APEX passed away last year in '08 from a motor cycle accident. Crazy sh!t. I thought I'd post this photo up here in salute to a tough man who was very capable on both the mic and the beats (and apparently the hands. Bam!). I'm sure he'd be happy to know that the Parra Eels are going great guns at the moment.

Much blessings brother.

Since I'm on a memory trip buzz, gotta send universal daps & pounds to my KOA crew, Dr. Phibes, Blaze, Kavi, Katalyst and MC Trey.

For more photos from this night with APEX, head to the Koolism myspace by clicking right HERE!



* All this is from memory. And you know, the ol' think tank ain't like what it used to be. Haha...

** Nothing wrong with my eye in this photo. Just trying to style on ya. Where's my Slick Rick eye-patch?

No comments:

Post a Comment